Laboratory testing is often recommended to understand your possible imbalances and nutrient deficiencies. It frequently takes the guesswork out of the analysis of your case and may lead to faster results.
Not testing can often be a false economy particularly in the case of digestive issues where specific bacteria, parasites and yeasts can be identified and which respond to specific supplements at precise doses over a defined period of time.
I use various laboratories that send you test kits to do in the comfort of your own home. They vary
between stool, urine, breath or blood prick tests.
Common lab tests are:
- Comprehensive stool analysis (evaluates digestion, absorption, gut metabolism, gut flora,
colonic immunology and inflammation)
- Intestinal yeast/candida
- Intestinal parasites
- Helicobacter Pylori
(The most common test I run is a combination of the above)
- Organic acids
- Intestinal permeability (leaky gut)
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
- Coeliac disease
- Gluten cross-reactive proteins
- Lactose intolerance – primary (genetic) and secondary
- Adrenal stress test (cortisol)
- Total thyroid screen
- Omega 3:6 ratio
- DUTCH hormone testing
- Vitamin & mineral deficiencies
- Vitamin D
- Toxic heavy metals screen
- Viral screen
I am also a certified practitioner for DNA Life which means I can provide accurate and actionable genetic information to improve your health and wellness.
A simple explanation is that “Genes load the gun, environment pulls the trigger” meaning that how we act and what we eat can trigger or not trigger a certain gene we have.
These tests are useful for:
- Complex clients who feel despite a healthy lifestyle, they are still not feeling optimal or cannot identify their root cause. These clients often feel like they have a ‘blockage’ and have often seen multiple healthcare practitioners
- Clients who want to understand their genetics (both limiting and beneficial genes) and be able to act early on to prevent disease
We can test multiple SNPs (Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms) that indicate a predisposition towards behaviour, physical or physiological attributes including:
- Lipid metabolism
- Oxidative Stress
- Bone health (including Vitamin D receptor)
- Insulin sensitivity
- Obesity risk & weight management
- Food responsiveness (lactose, caffeine, alcohol, fats, salt, bitter taste)
- Oestrogen metabolism
- Neurotrophic pathways (mood disorders, addiction, stress)
The test is a simple buccal mouth swab.
Where possible I suggest you get tests done by your GP on the NHS.
Functional test costs are additional to the consultation fee. However, as an added benefit of working with me, evaluation and interpretation of the results plus research time are included in the test cost.